Monday, January 15, 2018

Orientation, and temples, and food- Oh my!

The last few days have been exciting but very exhausting. Thursday we had orientation for most of the day. We learned a little bit about Thai culture, some dos and don'ts etc. Later on, we went to the mall to do some shopping. I bought some elephant pants for about $4 and it might be one of the best purchases of my life. They are so comfy, I'm in love! Later we went and bought our uniforms
When we returned from orientation for the day we went and grabbed some food. The main street is full of food vendors with a variety of food and drinks. Food is so cheap here it blows my mind. I got my first real pad Thai with shrimp for 45 baht~ $1.40. The shrimp still had the heads on them, so my friend Mya took them off for me! It was delicious!
My first pad Thai!



A few of my classmates
We also stopped at a smoothie place near our apartments on the way home. The shop is called Healthy Konta. Konta is the woman who owns the shop; she also cuts hair. She is a very sweet lady who makes a killer smoothie for just a dollar! She cuts up the fruit and blends it right in front of you while she makes you practice saying the fruits names in Thai. She calls herself mommy Thailand.
Mommy Thailands stand
After the smoothie, I came back to my room and went to bed. Jet lag was hitting me hard and I was ready for some sleep!

Friday we had more orientation. We started with a tour of Chaing Mai Universities campus. It is much bigger and more spread out than SVSU. They have about 40,000 students! I'm hoping I don't get too lost during the first week. After that, we got our class schedules. I will be taking Thai language for daily communication, Thai society and culture, social entrepreneurship, International logistics and supply chain management, international relations and a cooking class. I never thought I would say this but I am very excited for classes to start.
Later on, we went on a city and temple tour in Chiang Mai. I can't believe how beautiful the temples are. They are incredible. First, we went to the Lanna Architecture Center. ( Warning lots of pictures ahead) Next, we went to Wat Phan Tao.


Right next to it is Wat Phra Sing.





This is an ordination temple- only men are allowed inside because in Thailand only men are allowed to be ordained as monks. Monks are highly respected in Thailand.


A few blocks away is the Wat Chedi Luang Varavihara. It is home to the largest Buddha in Chiang Mai.











And that completes our City Tour! After the city tour, we came back to our apartment and were free for the night! We got dinner (I got some really good fried rice) and I finally got to try mango sticky rice! It was pretty good but not as sweet as I was expecting. And that's all for Friday!
My roommate Hailey and I and our sticky rice
Saturday we went to a traditional Thai dinner that had dancers from some of the tribes of Thailand. The food was good and the entertainment was even better!




Sunday, we visited the Bhubing Palace. This is where the royal family stays when they are in Chiang Mai or when important visitors come they stay at this palace or guesthouses on the property as well.
The palace

The reservoir
Next stop, Doi Suthep Temple! This is the most famous of the temples in Chiang Mai. It is located at the top of Doi Suthep which is the mountain in Chiang Mai. In 1383 it was built as a Buddhist monastery. First, you must walk up more than 300 steps guarded by a Naga serpent.
Once you reach the top it is nothing but gold and beauty!










My friend Tara and I
It is believed that if you walk around the main pagoda 3 times and make a wish it will come true! So, of course, we walked around the pagoda!

Just outside the pagoda is a beautiful view of Chiang Mai
A dog running around the temple
Pictured above is a stray dog who was wandering around the temple. There are hundreds of stray dogs and cats running around everywhere!

Later on, we went to the big night market downtown Chaing Mai. It was a very cool experience but also very overwhelming. There were thousands of people there and hundreds of booths, it seemed like it went on for miles! I got a couple pairs of elephant pants which are the comfy crazy patterned pants that everyone wears here. They are great and so cheap!


elephant pants

Wow long post I know, it has been a crazy weekend! Congrats if you made it this far! So far I am loving Thailand and the people I am with. I will probably have another post this weekend about my first week of classes!
Aubrey :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great start to your time in Thailand! I would travel there for the Pad Thai alone! I'm sure an authentic dish is even better than any version I've loved here in the U.S. It was interesting to read about the stray dogs; I remember how different dogs were treated when we lived in South Africa. Stay safe! And invest in more of those pants!!!

    ReplyDelete