Sunday, January 28, 2018

Tie-Dye, Doi Inthanon, and Agape Orphange

Tie Dye Workshop:
Last Saturday I went to a cotton farm which was about a half hour away from Chiang Mai where we learned about Tie Dye and even got to make our own! We also had learned how to make banana sticky rice, had a delicious lunch and got to play with some cute dogs! What a great way to spend a Saturday!
Before the Tie Dye




Showing us how to make sticky rice

Mass sticky rice production



Lunch!

The finished products!

My Tie Dye!
Last week we had Monday and Tuesday off from class because Chiang Mai University had their commencement ceremonies. This is a huge deal here, the princess came to hand out the diplomas, so Chiang Mai was a very busy place! We took a day trip to Doi Inthanon which is the highest point in Thailand. We left at 5 am so we got there in time to see a little bit of the sunrise. I am not a morning person at all, but it was worth getting up at 4:30 to see.

The temperature when we began the hike! BRRR!


The hike was beautiful and a good length, nothing too strenuous. Doi Inthanon is a part of the Himalaya mountain range which goes all the way from Northern Thailand across Nepal, Myanmar, and Bhutan.







My roommate Hailey and I 


You can see the top of one of the pagodas we went to see later.

After the hike, we drove to visit the Royal Pagodas of Their Majesties the King and the Queen which were partly visible from the hike earlier.



A random Thai family asked to take a picture with us. 






After the pagodas, our last stop of the day was the Wachiratarn Waterfall.






Saturday, some of our group visited the Agape Orphanage that is located in Chiang Mai. The orphanage is home to about 70 kids who are HIV positive. Agape means unconditional love. About 20 students from my study abroad program went for the day. It was a really nice day, but also challenging because most of the kids didn't know any English- but it is amazing what you can communicate with a smile.


My phone was stolen from my purse while I was out this week so I am a little short on pictures from the orphanage.
This weekend I am going to Pai which I have heard amazing things about from many people!

No comments:

Post a Comment